When you sell a vehicle, within 30 days, you must complete the Notice of Sale section on the back of the Certificate of Title or HSMV 82050. Submit the form to this office or the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (DHSMV).
Trading in your vehicle to a Florida dealer?
- If your title is electronically held in the database of the Florida DHSMV, the title can remain electronic and the dealer will handle the paperwork for you and transfer your license plate.
- If you have a paper title, take the title to the dealer and the dealer will handle the paperwork for you and transfer your license plate.
Selling your vehicle to an individual?
- If your title is electronically held in the database of the Florida DHSMV, you can request that the title be printed; it will be mailed to you from the Florida DHSMV. If you need the title immediately, visit one of our Service Centers.
- If you have a paper title, the title must be completed for transfer to the purchaser. As seller, you are required to sign as seller releasing your interest in the vehicle, enter the selling price, date of sale, purchaser's name and both buyer and seller must complete the odometer declaration.
What to do with your License Plate
If planning to purchase another vehicle within 30 days, keep your license plate and transfer it to your next vehicle. This will save you the cost of a new license plate.
Surrendering a License Plate
If you will not be replacing the vehicle within 30 days, or you will be registering your vehicle in another state, you must surrender your Florida license plate and registration. Failure to surrender the license plate could result in a cancellation of your driver's license.
How to surrender your license plate:
- In person at any Tax Collector's Office or Department of Motor Vehicle's Office - locations in Florida
- By mail with the registration and a signed statement explaining the reason such as cancelled insurance, no longer own the vehicle, vehicle titled and registered in another state, etc. Send to: Tax Collector Barbara Ford-Coates, 101 S. Washington Blvd., Sarasota, FL 34236-6993
License plate unavailable to surrender:
Please provide a signed statement including an explanation that the plate was lost, destroyed, stolen, etc., and if found, the license plate will not be placed on any motor vehicle.